Twentieth Century Fox announced that "The Princess Bride" 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Edition will be released on October 2, but between now and July 11 fans can vote on the cover art. And how quaint. There are Easter eggs! Didn't those go the way of Laser Discs?
Here are details:
Scale the cliffs of insanity, battle rodents of unusual size, face torture in the pit of despair, and join Princess Buttercup and Westley on their spell-binding journey to find true love when "The Princess Bride 25th Anniversary Blu-ray" debuts October 2 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. A classic fairy tale complete with heroes, villains, trickery, mockery and death-defying miracles, The Princess Bride captured audiences young and old with its brilliant, memorable dialogue, enchanting story line and bewitching characters.
From celebrated director Rob Reiner ("The Bucket List") and Oscar-winning screenwriter William Goldman ("Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid") comes "an enchanting fantasy" (Time) filled with adventure, romance and plenty of "good-hearted fun" (Roger Ebert). Featuring a spectacular cast that includes Robin Wright ("Forrest Gump"), Cary Elwes ("No Strings Attached"), Mandy Patinkin (“Homeland”) and Billy Crystal ("Tooth Fairy"), this wonderful fairy tale about a Princess named Buttercup and her beloved is "a real dream of a movie" (People).
"The Princess Bride 25th Anniversary Blu-ray" is loaded with special features including the all-new featurette “True Love: The Princess Bride Phenomenon” which includes brand new interviews with Reiner, Elwes, Wright, Goldman, Christopher Guest (For Your Consideration), Chris Sarandon ("Fright Night") and executive producer Norman Lear. Additionally, fans will have a chance to vote on the Blu-ray artwork on the 25th Anniversary tab of The Princess Bride Facebook page beginning June 28. Voting ends July 11 and the fans choice will be revealed on July 12.
Blu-Ray Disc Special Features:
- ALL NEW - TRUE LOVE: THE PRINCESS BRIDE PHENOMENON (Pts. 1 & 2) For 25 years, viewers have watched and loved The Princess Bride. But why does it resonate so strongly for all ages? This two-part featurette offers some answers, along with funny and touching tributes from its cast, director, writer and fans.
- Part 1: TRUE LOVE: THE PRINCESS BRIDE PHENOMENON - A Conversation with Rob Reiner, Cary Elwes and Robin Wright. The director and his stars reunite for this lively discussion of the film's 25th anniversary, favorite fan encounters and memories from the set, illustrated by never-before-seen dailies.
- Part 2: TRUE LOVE: THE PRINCESS BRIDE PHENOMENON - Hear from the film's creators and cast, passionate fans, and see film tributes and parodies, as we explore why the movie became a phenomenon. Interviewees include Rob Reiner, Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Billy Crystal, Mandy Patinkin, Christopher Guest, Chris Sarandon, writer William Goldman, executive producer Norman Lear, Rob's father Carl Reiner, and more.
- Audio Commentary by Rob Reiner
- Audio Commentary by William Goldman
- As You Wish: The Story of The Princess Bride
- Cary Elwes Video Diary
- Miraculous Makeup
- The Dread Pirate Roberts: Greatest Pirate of the Seven Seas
- Love is Like a Storybook
- The Princess Bride The Untold Tales featurette
- The Art of Fencing featurette
- Fairytales and Folklore featurette
- Original theatrical trailer
- Easter Eggs