> See Link to our DVD Review (further below)
Burbank, CA, – Embark on a journey of untold beauty, grace and strength as Princess Diana uses her remarkable gifts and evolves into "Wonder Woman", the world's most renowned female super hero. Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation are set to release the all-new animated original movie Wonder Woman on March 3, 2009, distributed by Warner Home Video.
WONDER WOMAN is now available as a Single Disc DVD (SRP $19.98), 2-Disc DVD Special Edition ($29.98) and in high-definition on Blu-ray Disc ($34.99). Both the 2-Disc DVD and Blu-ray Special Editions include collectible packaging, a Digital Copy of the film, and a whopping 185 minutes of bonus features!
Produced by the multiple Emmy® Award winning animation legend Bruce Timm, Wonder Woman is an original story and features a stellar celebrity voice cast including Keri Russell (Waitress, Felicity), Nathan Fillion (Desperate Housewives), Alfred Molina (Spider-Man 2), Virginia Madsen (Sideways), Rosario Dawson (Sin City, Clerks II), Oliver Platt (TV's The West Wing) and David McCallum (TV's NCIS).
Wonder Woman begins on the mystical island of Themyscira, where a proud and fierce warrior race of Amazons resides. They have raised Princess Diana, a daughter of stunning beauty, extraordinary strength and incredible agility. Diana possesses a host of superhuman powers granted to her by the gods and goddesses of Olympus and her strength and stamina are unparalleled. When Army fighter pilot Steve Trevor crash lands on the island, the rebellious and headstrong Diana defies Amazonian law by accompanying Trevor back to civilization. Meanwhile, Ares (the god of War) has escaped his imprisonment at the hands of the Amazonians and has decided to exact his revenge, intending to start a world war that will, starting with the Amazons. It is up to Princess Diana to save her people and the world, by using her gifts and becoming the ultimate Wonder Woman.
"There is so much enthusiasm and passion from the fans for Wonder Woman, that it was an obvious next step in the DC character pantheon for Warner Premiere to bring to the screen," says Matt Bierman, Senior Vice President Production, Warner Premiere. "In re-telling this origin story and putting a new spin on it, we think that we have all of the action and emotion that existing fans crave, and the ability to bring in a whole new set of fans with great super hero storytelling."
Bonus Features for both the 2-Disc DVD Special Edition and Blu-ray Hi-Def version include:
• 185 minutes of Bonus Features!
• Collectible Packaging
• Audio Commentary by Gregory Noveck (Senior Vice President, Creative Affairs, DC Comics), Bruce Timm (Producer), Lauren Montgomery (Director) and Michael Jelenic (Screenplay)
• "A Subversive Dream" will explore the rich history of Wonder Woman and her inspiration on American culture
• "The Daughters of Myth" is a riveting documentary explaining the archetype and tradition of the female DC Comics Super Hero
• "Wonder Woman: The Amazon Princess" – This featurette includes both a thumbnail history of the character of Wonder Woman featuring interviews with DC Comics creators and artists (Paul Levitz, Dan DiDio), and behind the scenes footage punctuated with interviews from the production staff and voice talent behind the film (Keri Russell, Alfred Molina, etc.)
• Next Upcoming DCU Sneak Peak (10 min)
• First Looks of Batman Gotham Knight, Justice League New Frontier & Wonder Woman
• 4 Bonus Episodes of Justice League:
– To Another Shore
– Hawk and Dove
– Paradise Lost, Part 1
– Paradise Lost, Part 2
• Digital Copy Download (formats supported: iTunes, Windows Media Player)
The DVD also features premium packaging with a lenticular "O" sleeve along with a sneak peak at the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie, Green Lantern.
>> 2-Disc Sp.Ed. DVD Review by John J. Puccio »
EXCERPT: "Wonder Woman" is a perfectly acceptable cartoon movie of its kind. If you like its kind. However, this adult finds most direct-to-video and television cartoons pretty run-of-the-mill, and "Wonder Woman" is no exception. The movie isn't trying to compete with a Pixar product, after all. It uses cardboard characters and routine action, with only some of the background art and the main character's origin story of any serious interest.
Some heroes are made. This one was born.
On the mystical island of Themyscira, a proud and fierce warrior race of Amazons have raised a daughter of untold beauty, grace and strength Princess Diana. When an Army fighter pilot, Steve Trevor, crash-lands on the island, the rebellious and headstrong Diana defies Amazonian law by accompanying Trevor back to civilization. Meanwhile, Ares (the god of War) has escaped his imprisonment at the hands of the Amazonians and has decided to exact his revenge - intending to start a world war that will not only last for centuries but will wipe out every living being on the planet, starting with the Amazons! It is up to Princess Diana to save her people and the world by using her gifts and becoming the ultimate Wonder Woman!